Monday, October 8, 2012

Smash hit in Copenhagen

Finally, I am word vomiting about Denmark. I am totally behind on my blogging, so expect an influx of posts this week. I'm playing catch up. But for now, the wonderful merchant's harbor...

This story begins on the overnight bus from Amsterdam to Copenhagen. It was financially efficient to not fly, therefore not booking a hostel not to mention the bus was cheaper, but with hindsight vision strong at 20/20, me thinks it may have been worth it to indulge. Alas, we live and we learn and we have a lot of funny stories about shady travel buses. At the German border, Deutsche efficiency was in full swing and also a little scary checking our passports. I was still in and out of sleep at this point, but Mac was wide awake to watch someone get arrested! A passenger was wanted in Germany and told to come with the police to spend 600 days in jail. Just glad it wasn't me.

However, I was the target of the border patrol in Denmark, when they went poking around in our luggage and came across my big bottle of pills. This sounds suspicious, but it's really not. See, I brought a medley of over-the-counters to Italy because I wasn't sure if they'd have ibuprofen or any of my other stand bys. (P.S. They don't.) My mistake was bringing this bottle with me on vacation, as the guy checking my bag was very confused and I had to explain what each different colored pill was for. It was embarrassing and I had to really play up hypochondriac tendencies but, in the end, he let me into their country - with my medicine.

Following this escapade, our bus pulled onto a boat that we got to hang out on as we sailed into Scandinavia. Most of you know how I feel about boats, so you know I was all about this, although my stomach was queasier than I was expecting and it was not good for my aspirations to someday be a pirate king. Although I could have still been in knots over my pharmaceutical shenanigan. Good thing I had my pills for an upset stomach!

So we finally arrive amidst confusion but the city is full of bicycles and a good wind chill so already, I am loving it. Once again, we did the New Europe three hour walking tour, which was wonderful, because we really didn't know much about Copenhagen.


the house of J. C. Jacobsen, founder of Carlsberg brewery

Archbishop Absalon - a total badass warrior bishop who build the first fortification of what would become Copenhagen and, along with only 13 others, defeated a Wend army 6,000 strong!

the lovely Mac hanging with an anchor outside of Nyhavn ("New Harbor")

at the square of the Danish royal palaces, you know, real estate shopping

palace guard! not allowed to get within 150 meters of them, so my zoom was in full force

the northern side of Nyhavn - the most photographed street in Copenhagen

Mac and I rented bikes and rode them out to see the Little Mermaid

Christiania is a self-run commune in the middle of Copenhagen - very liberal and organic, and the inhabitants even have their own money

went to the Danish National Museum which had a huge exhibit on prehistory (and was free!)



the place also had modern installations scattered throughout which were fun surprises

the museum also had quite an extensive wing of antiquities and obviously we know how I feel about that time period - had to snap a shot of a cat!

my new boyfriend, he doesn't talk much but we get along pretty well

our final night we decided to live it up at Tivoli, the second oldest amusement park in the world (the first one's also in Denmark!)


we also decided to ride the rides after an all you can eat Indian buffet and started with a tilt-a-whirl, because our decision making skills are par for the course

The Demon! I forgot how much I missed roller coasters

happy Kate because she gets to ride all the rides!

So, that title? What the heck does that mean? Well, we found out, at Tivoli the night we went, was to be a performance by a famous hip hop group that raps entirely in Danish, Malk de Koijn. The concert was free with entrance into the gardens and we actually ended up watching almost their entire set. I absolutely loved them and as soon as I got home, downloaded all three of their albums. One of them is called 'Smash Hit in Aberdeen' and I don't have the slightest idea where that is, but I do know Copenhagen was a smash hit for me! 

I know, this whole post seems rather rushed other than my extensive traveling story, but I am two weeks behind and actually have two trips to talk about that have happened since the first break! I promise to try to update quicker and fill you in about my life faster. Although, you know me and promises. Nonetheless, I loved northern Europe - from the weather to the people, everything seemed very up my alley. Not that I don't love Rome, and the prospect of being home and comfortable was great after seven days of travel. I am so fortunate to be able to see so much of Europe while I'm here. I give infinite thanks to my family who is supporting me in all these international endeavors and Mac, my travel buddy who I know I couldn't have done this trip without. We are so very different in so very many ways, and meeting you has been a wonderful addition to my life.

Man må hyle med de ulve man er i blandt, Danish proverb: One must howl with the wolves one is among (or, one you're familiar with, When in Rome do as the Romans do)

No comments:

Post a Comment